all threads All Threads ›› Stock Market Crashes 300 points ›› new reply Post Reply
chris spiro
got that pma
5,371 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 12 2008 11:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:G uNiT UgLy

Originally posted by:chris spiro

Yeah, I mean either that or it was the one's who invested during the down turn, and made a killing when it went back up.

it crashed in 1929 and didn't go back up until the 1940's, over ten years later... that's a bit long for a return for most people.

The market didn't recover to pre 1929 levels until the 40's, that's true. But if people had bought anytime during mid October to January of 1929 (when the market hit rock bottom), you would have made a significant return by February-April of 1930. Admittedly, you probably would have had to sell again by June to keep any of those profits (close to a 70% return IF you invested perfectly), but hey, that's the name of the game. And I'm not saying everyone will make a profit infesting during a downturn, or trying to downplay the risk in doing so... But buying stocks intelligently while they're low is, again, basic market strategy.

Not to mention the fact that rules of the game have changed slightly for the better since 1929.
chris spiro
got that pma
5,371 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 12 2008 11:20 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
And are successful investors listening to faceless internet retards that don't understand the basics of investing? Well, warren buffet isn't.

click here for link

I guess he must be an "idiot" right G unit?
G uNiT UgLy
g@unit.cum
3,230 Posts
32/M/PA

offline   (4)
November 13 2008 5:55 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

And are successful investors listening to faceless internet retards that don't understand the basics of investing?

you mean like you? i hope not.
G uNiT UgLy
g@unit.cum
3,230 Posts
32/M/PA

offline   (4)
November 13 2008 5:58 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by:G uNiT UgLy

Yeah, I mean either that or it was the one's who invested during the down turn, and made a killing when it went back up.

it crashed in 1929 and didn't go back up until the 1940's, over ten years later... that's a bit long for a return for most people.

The market didn't recover to pre 1929 levels until the 40's, that's true. But if people had bought anytime during mid October to January of 1929 (when the market hit rock bottom), you would have made a significant return by February-April of 1930. Admittedly, you probably would have had to sell again by June to keep any of those profits (close to a 70% return IF you invested perfectly), but hey, that's the name of the game. And I'm not saying everyone will make a profit infesting during a downturn, or trying to downplay the risk in doing so... But buying stocks intelligently while they're low is, again, basic market strategy.

Not to mention the fact that rules of the game have changed slightly for the better since 1929.

except that you just told people to buy stocks while they were going down, with no bottom in sight, and no recovery or stabilization in sight, not when they were low or had hit rock bottom.

nice attempt at a backpeddle after saying something really fucking stupid, though.
chris spiro
got that pma
5,371 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 13 2008 11:20 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Alright well if Warren Buffet can't convince you that you're just flat out wrong here, I sincerely doubt that I'll be able to.
planet of the apes
no.
3,938 Posts
35/M/NJ

offline   (6)
November 13 2008 1:29 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Warren Buffet also has $60 billion dollars to take chances with, most people in the stock market have less than $60 thousand and can't afford to make any wrong moves. Buffet also has a philanthropist agenda [hence the public editorial] and doesn't mind losing a million here and there to make a point, something else most people can't afford.
This is a fucked up stock market and I feel sorry for all the families that have lost their lifesavings in the past few months. I sure as shit wouldn't tell them to put what little they had left back in.
chris spiro
got that pma
5,371 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 13 2008 5:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
But it isn't just what he's personally doing, it's what he's advocating.

"Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful."

Whether people want to take that chance or not is up to them.
cows spending money
abu ghraib valenti
839 Posts
33/M/VA

offline   (1)
November 14 2008 9:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

so, just out of curiosity, what are you so confidently investing in these days? no need to keep it a secret - if anything, publicizing it might make people want to buy it and drive the price up. so what is it?
chris spiro
got that pma
5,371 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 15 2008 3:34 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:cows spending money

so, just out of curiosity, what are you so confidently investing in these days? no need to keep it a secret - if anything, publicizing it might make people want to buy it and drive the price up. so what is it?

I have a few thousand in an SEI mutual fund (TCPGX) I set up when I was 18. Pays automatically reinvested dividends monthly. Other than that, I have no trading secrets for you. I never claimed to. You don't know the basics of investing. Bottom line.
cows spending money
abu ghraib valenti
839 Posts
33/M/VA

offline   (1)
November 15 2008 8:30 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by:cows spending money

I have a few thousand in an SEI mutual fund (TCPGX) I set up when I was 18. Pays automatically reinvested dividends monthly. Other than that, I have no trading secrets for you. I never claimed to. You don't know the basics of investing. Bottom line.

lol - so you have one fucking mutual fund and you're trying to lecture people on investing? just like i thought - you're just one more full of shit asshole talking out of your ass.
it's you with your one mutual fund that is the one that doesn't know the basics of investing. bottom line & end of discussion. too fucking funny. you should go out and buy guitar hero too so you can tell us all what it's like to be a rock star.
chris spiro
got that pma
5,371 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 15 2008 4:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
It doesn't really matter what I have invested in the market. You're still wrong.
billy ray cyrus, MD
slugger
1,784 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (13)
November 21 2008 8:13 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
lol@ anyone telling people to 'buy while the price is falling' and anyone doing it.

and oh yeah, the dow jones was over 13,000 when this thread was started, and it closed at 7,500 yestrday. i hope a lot of people bought stock while it was falling then. lol
billy ray cyrus, MD
slugger
1,784 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (13)
November 21 2008 8:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:step_down

Originally posted by:brian.

for every 10 years, usually two of them are bear-ish markets lasting around 18 months. we're on something like the 13th month maybe? i dont carry any short term positions at the moment and generally couldnt care about any of this from a personal prespective...its obviously interesting news but thats it for me. ive talked to some people that are all up in arms about this and have no vested interest in any of it and have never spoke of it before. shit tanks and everyones an expert, which is always funny.

Me either, I just want to go lootin' & burnin'.
Any reason will do!

yeah, good luck with that.
chris spiro
got that pma
5,371 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 21 2008 11:57 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
G uNiT UgLy
g@unit.cum
3,230 Posts
32/M/PA

offline   (4)
November 22 2008 2:57 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:BillyLostin

Originally posted by: Consider Me Dead

down 200 for the day. probably a good time to sell before it's fully 'corrected' itself, which a buddy of mine said will be around the 11,000 mark.

11,000? Are you serious? Don't listen to your buddy. Most analysts say this is a correciton, which means maybe a thousand points followed by a bull market. Even a bear market would have to be pretty fierce to drop to 11,000 from 14,000.

And if you're investing, rather than trading, you should start buying as it drops. Open up a position now, and if it keeps dropping keep buying.

lol. this never gets old.
all threads All Threads ›› Stock Market Crashes 300 points ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Stock Market Crashes 300 points

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?