all threads All Threads ›› Stock Market Crashes 300 points ›› new reply Post Reply
Consider Me Dead
LaughingOnTheInsid
451 Posts
13/M/NV

October 1 2007 9:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
well, i wouldn't pop open the bottles of expensive champagne just yet because people in the industry are still throwing around the term 'recession' pretty freely.
what happened today could just as easily be part of the general volatility of the markets, and part of the sharks and pushers pumping up of the numbers before another selloff. funny how stock manipulation used to be a crime in the 90's.
as for the close today, i think it's just about where it was when all this started two months ago, so i'm not entirely convinced we're done with all the drastic fluctuations.
Erie Ed
Dog pound
20,398 Posts
33/M/OH

offline   (21)
October 4 2007 10:26 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
pift i could give a shit less about the stock market it's just another way to gamble your money away
aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
31/M/NA

offline   (1)
November 2 2007 1:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I don't have much of an understanding about this type of thing. Both of you make sense to me, haha, and you're both obviously pretty intelligent.
billy ray cyrus, MD
slugger
1,785 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (13)
November 7 2007 8:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
down 360 again today.

but that's o.k. - i liked the grapes of wrath.

Rats in the walls
crush, kill, destr
1,170 Posts
33/M/NY

offline   (1)
November 9 2007 5:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
It was down another 220 today, 550 for the week. Glad I don't have any money in it.
billy ray cyrus, MD
slugger
1,785 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (13)
November 19 2007 4:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
uh-oh. another 200 points today.
billy ray cyrus, MD
slugger
1,785 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (13)
November 21 2007 6:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
oh man...

Dow Jones plunges over 200 points after Asia, Europe drop

Published: Nov. 21, 2007 at 5:11 PM

NEW YORK, Nov. 21 (UPI) -- The Dow Jones industrials plunged more than 200 points Wednesday as U.S. stock indexes following Asian and European losses amid growing economic fears.

The Dow closed down 211.10 points, or 1.62 percent, at 12,799.04, the lowest close since April 19. The broader Standard & Poor's 500 Index fell 22.93 points, or 1.59 percent, at 1,416.77.

On the New York Stock Exchange, 2,395 stocks declined and 816 advanced, on volume of more than 4.1 billion shares traded.

The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index lost 34.66 points, or 1.33 percent, to 2,562.15.

All European markets closed down, with the French CAC 40 index dropping 2.22 percent, the German DAX 30 index losing 1.48 percent and Euronext Brussels' BEL 20 shedding 3.18 percent.

The pan-European Dow Jones Stoxx 600 index fell 3 percent.

Japan's Nikkei 225 stock index finished down 373.86 points, or 2.46 percent, at 14,837.66.

All Asian markets but Pakistan's closed down, with Hong Kong's Hang Seng losing 4.2 percent, the Korea Composite Stock Price Index falling 3.5 percent and Singapore's Straits Times Index shedding 2.7 percent.

The U.S. dollar fell to a record low 108.42 yen from 109.89 yen in New York late Tuesday. The euro rose to a record high $1.4857 from $1.4812.
wholesaletrash
i've got nice legs
12,561 Posts
36/F/PA

offline   (3)
November 23 2007 1:28 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:WhiskeyForBreakfast

Originally posted by:BillyLostin

Oh hey guys, just wanted to come apologize. I was so wrong. What a bad idea it was to buy stocks on the downturn! I mean, had you listened to me you would've lost so much money as the market moved back up to 14087 today.

Whiskey for Breakfast, you're obviously the pro. Sorry.

what are you - a fucking cheerleader at a pep rally or something? if you really think that what happened this summer didn't mean anything, then you're an even bigger idiot than i thought you were before. funny how douchebags like you with thousands in the market think it was meaningless while all the big investors with millions, and alan greenspan, agree with me that it might have been a major tremor with more to come. but i guess you're the pro: if only they had your wisdom.

and also, anyone that would have waited until the fourth downturn to buy like i told people to do, would have made about three times what they would have if they had listened to you and started buying right after the first one, when it swung back to 14.

and oh yeah, down a hundred and eight points today.

both of you are retarded.

this whole thread is retarded. the stock market is a risk, the economy is a risk. if you don't want to play then gtfo.
brian.
new cocks
145,639 Posts
34/M/IL

offline   (9)
November 23 2007 2:48 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i love trading
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
564 Posts
36/M/NA

offline   (1)
January 15 2008 10:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
yikes.
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
564 Posts
36/M/NA

offline   (1)
January 15 2008 11:10 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:matt l.

Yikes what?

click here for link
I Am Legion
nothing
1,057 Posts
37/M/NA

offline   (1)
January 15 2008 5:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
U.S. Economy: Retail Sales Drop as Expansion Falters (Update3)
By Bob Willis and Courtney Schlisserman

Jan. 15 (Bloomberg) -- Sales at U.S. retailers unexpectedly dropped in December, capping the weakest year since 2002 and pushing the economy closer to a recession.

Sales fell 0.4 percent, the first retreat since June, the Commerce Department said today in Washington.

Separate figures from the Labor Department showed producer prices eased at the end of a year that saw the biggest annual jump in more than a quarter century.

The pullback among consumers, whose spending propped up the economy through the housing slump, is eroding profits at retailers from Sears Holdings Corp. to Williams-Sonoma Inc.

Coupled with downward revisions to October and November, the decline in sales means economic growth in the fourth quarter was about 1 percent or less, some economists said.

``Consumer spending slowed down pretty dramatically'' in the fourth quarter, said Brian Bethune, director of financial economics at Global Insight Inc. in Lexington, Massachusetts, who correctly forecast the decrease in sales.

``We are kind of flying very close to a stall speed.'' The figures pushed stocks lower, further weakened the dollar and led to a gain in Treasury notes.

The Dow Jones industrial average finished with a loss of 277 points at 12,501.

The Standard and Poor's 500 Consumer Discretionary Index, which includes Target Corp., Lowe's Cos. and Tiffany & Co., dropped 2.3 percent to close at 235.62 in New York.

also:

Crude Oil Futures Fall on Retail Sales Decline, Saudi Comments
By Robert Tuttle

Jan. 15 (Bloomberg) -- Crude oil fell more than $2 a barrel in New York after a U.S. government report showed that retail sales unexpectedly declined last month and Saudi Arabia's oil minister said OPEC is ready to increase production.

``Economic news right now is really tipping toward slowdown or recession in the U.S.,'' said James Cordier, president of Liberty Trading Group in Tampa.

``That means tighter spending and the inability of people to pay $100 for crude oil and $3.50'' a gallon for gasoline.

not sure if i'm more disturbed that it's happening, or that we're getting charity from opec.
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,457 Posts
40/M/NY

offline   (4)
January 17 2008 9:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
and down another 306 today, to 12,159. the s&p was down by about the same.

let's just hope this recession doesn't last that long.
Racer X
lost in the ether
1,858 Posts
91/M/NY

offline   (3)
January 18 2008 11:56 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
haha - they just said on the radio that it's already down 60 points today. if it goes below 12,000, i think things might start getting weird. so glad i don't mess with that shit anymore.
Kadesh
Kadesh
37,478 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (26)
January 18 2008 6:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
yeah
all threads All Threads ›› Stock Market Crashes 300 points ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Stock Market Crashes 300 points

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?