all threads All Threads ›› Here's a news clip ›› new reply Post Reply
coastal elite
hates chicken.
15,889 Posts
30/F/DC

offline   (1)
October 11 2007 1:05 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:nick danger
And somehow I doubt that it doesn't exist on the east coast, either.

Oh, I'm not denying it does. It's just not as easily found here. The only time I ever interact with hispanics is at work, and only a handful of the 75-100 that work here are actually Mexican. I can't imagine that it's just that they don't want to work here - there simply aren't as many.
carlos danger
something
23,443 Posts
29/M/ME

offline   (1)
October 11 2007 1:42 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:nick danger

It's different here, or at least in my particular neighborhood. I have the privilege of living in a predominantly hispanic area of Boston. I don't really see overt displays of "Anahuac" ideologies--just a general unwillingness to assimilate or identify oneself as American or at least "Mexican-America", rather than purely Mexican.

I think part of it is a cultural thing. I am actually 1/2 Mexican by blood and I know my relatives in the Southwest struggle to hold on to their cultural identity. They're upset my branch of the family has lost touch of our "Mexican-ness," they call us "pochos," and speak spanish around us to mock that we never learned our native language. It's kind of silly.

On the other hand the Latinos I live around do display a obvious disdain for the police and the government. They seem to think their marginalized, but really I think that comes from the unwillingness to assimilate. If you're not going to act like an American (which doesn't mean completely abandoning your heritage) why would you expect to be treated like one?
aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
30/M/NA

offline   (1)
October 11 2007 11:47 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: nick danger

Racial supremacy is by definition a bit less than rational. But if you're denying its existence in these communities then you're completely ignorant. And completely out of your element, but I think you're already there in this case.

Chill out. I wasn't saying it exists or not, I don't know, I'll take your word for it.
all threads All Threads ›› Here's a news clip ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Here's a news clip

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?