all threads All Threads ›› Some questions for PAHC about College. ›› new reply Post Reply
brian.
new cocks
144,223 Posts
33/M/IL

online   (9)
October 9 2007 4:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
disclaimer: im out of school but ill answer these to what i felt when i still was in school

Do you feel pressured to get a degree? slightly from my parents, but thats because it cost over $100,000. most of the pressure was of my own doing, knowing what im getting myself into and knowing the value of it...so i had to do it.
Do you want to be there? i did want to be there. it was a good opportunity with good facilities and the chance to really learn a lot. i didnt put the effort into it that i should have, now that im thinking back, but it wasnt as if i didnt want to be there.
Is someone forcing you to go? nope, my parents wanted me to go to school, but if i didnt want to go they were alright with that.
Do you like your classes? i liked most of them. at the time, i wasnt a fan of many of my non-major courses and theres a lot i still think were a waste, but just the other day i bought a book on immanuel kant because he was one of the topics in one of my philosophy classes (which i did like). im not buying anything relating to spanish ever in my life besides burritos though.
Are your professors enthusiastic about teaching or are they just there to do what they are paid for? from what i could tell, almost all of the professors i had were very into what they were doing and enjoyed it all. many, if not all of them, i have witnessed them go above and beyond what their job description probably entails.
Do you feel like you are competing with your classmates or do you not care? when i was there i did feel some competition between classmates, but mainly it was competition that i was seeing in the future job market...not so much in-class competition. i knew there were some kids in my classes that knew their shit forwards and backwards by mid-sophomore year, and those were the kids i would be competing with for jobs. i wasnt the sharpest kid the first few years so that worried me, but the cometition i saw in the real world drove me to get caught up at the end, and i think i did that well.
sherman
shermz
15,401 Posts
32/F/NA

offline   (7)
October 9 2007 5:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Thanks for everybody who put some effort into their answers. Anybody who is currently going to college/is out of college can answer these questions. Thanks again!
Jim McGuire
Clarity
5,610 Posts
30/M/NJ

offline   (1)
October 9 2007 5:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
- Do you feel pressured to get a degree?

No, but I feel like it's something that has to be done in order for me to have a successful career in what I want to do.

- Do you want to be there?

I don't mind going to school. It's a huge leap from high school, as opposed to me hating every minute of high school, I actually enjoy going to college.

- Is someone forcing you to go?

No, but I know my family would be disappointed if I didn't go.

- Do you like your classes?

Most of them are pretty good, but some are pretty shitty. Most of the shitty classes are due to bad professors.

- Are your professors enthusiastic about teaching or are they just there to do what they are paid for?
Most of my professors have been all around well-rounded people, and pretty enthusiastic about what they do.

- Do you feel like you are competing with your classmates or do you not care?

Couldn't care less.
blackeyes
100%
47,026 Posts
32/M/AK

online   (3)
October 9 2007 5:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Do you feel pressured to get a degree? no, i come from a family of 6 people. neither of my parents went to college. my two older brothers didnt go to college. my older sister did graduate and my younger brother never finished high school and my younger sister will definitely be going. i dont feel any pressure because no one expects me to do it anyway. i will be the only male in my family to get a degree. assuming i finish. my family is like the simpsons, the girls are honor society over achievers and the guys run into each other with pots on their heads.

Do you want to be there? no, it sucks. school honestly is horrible and was NEVER my forte. i understand that it gives me more opportunities when i finish but i dont care right now. i'll appreciate it when im done and am getting good paychecks, i hope.

Is someone forcing you to go? no, not in the slightest as i said, i come from people who are not higher educated. we're a family of manual laborers. my dad is a mechanic who somehow manages to raise 6 kids. put one through college, is putting me through college right now, and will put another through college before its done. they want me to go because they know the advantages but if i was to stop after this semester they would be disappointed but they wouldnt force me. the original reasone i ever started going (when i was 19 and had never planned on going) was because i felt my girlfriends parents at the time would like it but i dont even date her anymore and i still go.

Do you like your classes? no, its a chore to me. i like learning things but i would much rather be given a book and then a test. but you dont learn as much that way, as i said school was never my strong point and i understand that it has to work that way, i just wish another way to do it.

Are your professors enthusiastic about teaching or are they just there to do what they are paid for? i honesly cant even tell. so i guess not.

Do you feel like you are competing with your classmates or do you not care? not really, i could give a shit if my classmates are doing better or worse than me. when getting tests and shit back i like to see that i did better than people around me because it makes me feel like i just did better than average not because i did better than anyone in particular
StaceZ
aka
720 Posts
36/F/PA

offline   (9)
October 9 2007 5:18 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
-do you feel pressure to get a degree? - not from my parents but from society, yes i did. i felt it from teachers and the school system, it's like you were less of a person if you didn't get a degree from a 4 year university. i even got a little slack from some of my high school teachers because i chose to go to kutztown and not some big name school. i think a lot of times people forget that not everyone is made for school.

-do you want to be there? - yes, i did. i always liked school and always knew that i would end up in college. i liked it so much that i went back for a second degree and am now applying to grad school.
-is someone forcing you to go? - no, no one ever forced me to go. i was lucky, my parents would have supported any decision i made - hell, my brother doesn't go to school and he tours with his band most of the time - we luckily have really great parents.

-do you like your classes? - yes, i liked the majority of my classes, however, i wish there was slightly more freedom in choicing how to focus your major. i think liberal arts degrees do not allow for more indepth study of the areas you truly like, i think they are too focused on "general" education. i wish i could have gotten a liberal arts degree with a more focused specialty.

-Are your professors enthusiastic about teaching... - the majority loved to teach and loved what they taught, however, it seem inevitable that in the course of each semester you would have one teacher who absolutely hated their job and whose only goal was to take that frustration out on their students.

-do you feel like you are competing with your classmates or do you not care? - i didn't feel like i was competing with my classmates. it seems that once you get into college the competition sort of dies out because you're already there and it seemed more like we were all there to help each other after that point.
Adam Turcotte
Still bawlin'
1,107 Posts
31/M/NA

offline   (8)
October 9 2007 5:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
-I don't feel pressured to get a degree cause I am not sure it is what I want for a career
-I don't want to be there all the time but I do enjoy my classes
-No one is forcing me to go my parents want me too finish up my classes but the decision is always mine
-I only have 2 professors this semester, one is awesome and very enthusiastic and keeps you interested where as the other tries to be enthusiastic but gets a reverse effect since we all want to fall asleep.
-I really don't care who the best in my class is cause 1/2 is theory 1/2 is practical. God knows I am not good with tests so my theory part is shit but my practical is probably second to none
Adam Turcotte
Still bawlin'
1,107 Posts
31/M/NA

offline   (8)
October 9 2007 5:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I would also like to add that the college experience isn't all about the classes your social life takes up most of your time. Thats what people go away for school for, Yes the education is a huge part but alot of time and energy goes into the social part.
TerryEtheridge
writer
6 Posts
41/M/PA

February 7 2018 2:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I have experienced pressure of final exams, it is rather intense in the US. I managed to get through with good grades, but when I attended a cousin's wedding a couple of weeks after the finals, I just felt utterly miserable, with no logical reason why. I could not even write my essay for me. The feeling hit me like an unexpected express train.
Thankfully, the feeling was short lived, and I was back to normal the next day. I can see, though, how people in different circumstances, or with different psyches could be hit far harder and for far longer than I was. My own personal experience is an argument from anecdote, and not statistically significant, so take it with your chosen measures of salt. I can see some plausibility in the concept.
all threads All Threads ›› Some questions for PAHC about College. ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Some questions for PAHC about College.

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?