forum Politics and Society ›› Republicans block minimum wage hike ›› new reply Post Reply
.Andy.

strange meat
2,573 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (4)
January 25 2007 12:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Is $7.25 per hour really too much to ask?
Eric Paradox
east bay grease
68,058 Posts
31/M/CA

offline     (33)
January 25 2007 12:08 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
seriously, I don't care what the arguments are, there should never be a working poor. if you work full time, you should be able to live.

this applies to me because I've been doing minimum wage all month with the VT minimum wage of 7.25 and I don't know what I'd be doing with something like 5.15 an hour. that's nuts.
Sarcastic Existence
SICK GUY
16,062 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (17)
January 25 2007 12:15 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Finally the Republicans do something I agree with.

Obviously, there shouldn't be a working poor. But making inflation worse isn't the answer. Do you know how much more expensive everything would be? Shit would get ridiculous. And the American Dollar would become even weaker.
thevengenceaz
king hippo
10,585 Posts
33/N/A/AZ

offline   (1)
January 25 2007 7:48 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
they blocked it because it doesn't include tax incentives for those who employ minimum wage workers, like resturants.

it only makes sense, you have to have the money to pay more wages come from somewhere.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
44,411 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (18)
January 25 2007 7:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
how do you think business' make up the cost of raising minimum wage.....raising the price of their output product. in turn making the minimum wage raise null and void. my point being, raising the minimum wage alone is retarded
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
521 Posts
35/M/NA

online   (1)
January 25 2007 8:54 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
one more reason not to vote for republicans.
XmisanthropistX
gutter butter
11,484 Posts
10/M/NA

offline   (1)
January 25 2007 9:01 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
BEST NEWS OF THE WEEK.
XmisanthropistX
gutter butter
11,484 Posts
10/M/NA

offline   (1)
January 25 2007 9:02 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:.Andy.

Is it too much for you to man up and do what you have to do to maintain a decent quality of life?
XmisanthropistX
gutter butter
11,484 Posts
10/M/NA

offline   (1)
January 25 2007 9:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Eric Paradox

seriously, I don't care what the arguments are, there should never be a working poor. if you work full time, you should be able to live.

this applies to me because I've been doing minimum wage all month with the VT minimum wage of 7.25 and I don't know what I'd be doing with something like 5.15 an hour. that's nuts.

you could work a second job, or get an education that you can use to get a higher paying job.
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
521 Posts
35/M/NA

online   (1)
January 25 2007 9:10 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Hymen Holocaust

Originally posted by: Solomon Grundy

there is no difference between a republican or a democrat once there elected , its the person , not the party

ONE difference is that the elected democrats voted FOR the minimum wage hike, and the elected republicans voted AGAINST it.

that's a pretty big difference if you work a minimum wage job.

also, i think you meant

*they're* - there is

and

*it's* - it is
XmisanthropistX
gutter butter
11,484 Posts
10/M/NA

offline   (1)
January 25 2007 9:11 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Solomon Grundy

Are you serious? Are you really that lazy? do you really believe that you're entitled to an absolute wage?

Do you realize that by raising the minimum wage, even HAVING a minimum wage, you're hurting not only large corporations, but small business owners too.

you have to realize that everyone in life has the same goal: To be able to maintain a comfortable or more than comfortable life for themselves (and their family). we know that doing this requires money. so whats the difference between a guy that, say, owns a pizza parlor, and the guy that works for him? What, the owner has money? there's nothing stopping his employee from getting a small business loan and opening his own store, taking on the risks that are involved in doing so, and trying to make a better life for himself. But no, you would rather see the government reach into our pizza shop owner's pocket and take his money, and give it to his employee. To even the playing field a little.

That's bullshit, and thats why you're a moron for thinking the way you do.

life isn't fair. you aren't entitled to anything.
XmisanthropistX
gutter butter
11,484 Posts
10/M/NA

offline   (1)
January 25 2007 9:13 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
ps if you work a minimum wage job, and you aren't happy with the money you're making, you might want to think about exploring higher education, the military, or getting a second job.
carlos danger
something
23,443 Posts
28/M/ME

offline   (1)
January 25 2007 9:21 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I've got five years of school and shitty jobs left until I have my doctorate, then I will never have to worry about this garbage ever again.
Steve
Time Husk
32,578 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
January 25 2007 9:21 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Minimum wage hike stalls over tax break demands
January 25, 2007

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The minimum wage increase that was supposed to zip through Congress veered off track Wednesday as lawmakers argued over business tax breaks that would be attached to ensure Republican support.

House Democrats demanded a bill free of a tax attachment, and the Senate voted 54-43 to advance a House-passed measure that would lift the pay floor without any tax cut.

That was short of the 60 votes needed to keep that version moving, however.

The vote was a signal to the House that without the tax breaks a minimum wage bill appeared doomed in the Senate. The upper chamber promptly moved to a broader bill, backed by its Democratic leaders, that would raise the wage to $7.25 an hour over 26 months and provide $8.3 billion in tax benefits to businesses over 10 years.

In the House, Democrats threatened to stifle that effort by enforcing constitutional precedents that require all tax bills to originate in the House.
.Andy.
strange meat
2,573 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (4)
January 25 2007 10:34 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:LOL!!!1

Is it too much for you to man up and do what you have to do to maintain a decent quality of life?

IGNORANT! Minimum wage hasn't been raised in 10 years, although congress raise their own salaries almost every year while refusing to raise pay of our lowest-paid workers. Don't you think these families might need that cost-of-living increase a bit more than our congress who are paid almost $170,000 a year?

The minimum wage now is $2 lower in real dollars than it was four decades ago... According to the Fiscal Policy Institute, since 1998, states with higher minimum wages experienced better job growth than states paying only the federal minimum wage and that especially applied to the smaller businesses.

Its not just about money, its about respect.
XmisanthropistX
gutter butter
11,484 Posts
10/M/NA

offline   (1)
January 25 2007 10:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by:LOL!!!1

IGNORANT! Minimum wage hasn't been raised in 10 years, although congress raise their own salaries almost every year while refusing to raise pay of our lowest-paid workers. Don't you think these families might need that cost-of-living increase a bit more than our congress who are paid almost $170,000 a year?

The minimum wage now is $2 lower in real dollars than it was four decades ago... According to the Fiscal Policy Institute, since 1998, states with higher minimum wages experienced better job growth than states paying only the federal minimum wage and that especially applied to the smaller businesses.

Its not just about money, its about respect.

and you call ME ignorant.

Tell me how it makes sense to reach into one person's pocket to give to another?

it IS about money. respect has NOTHING to do with this issue. there shouldn't even BE a minimum wage.
forum Politics and Society ›› Republicans block minimum wage hike ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Republicans block minimum wage hike

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?