all threads All Threads ›› Cell Phone Plague Obliterates Bee Colony ›› new reply Post Reply
thevengenceaz

king hippo
10,585 Posts
34/N/A/AZ

offline   (1)
April 23 2007 12:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i've always hated cell phones, infact i hate most technology, but this only cements my beliefs more and more. thank you jerk off's for exterminating the human race one rude phone call at a time.

"If honey bees become extinct, human society will follow in four years"

- Albert Einstein

Cell Phone Plague Obliterates Bee Colony
A Brewster Smythe
April 20, 2007

Sit down, little Johnnie, I am going to tell you the story of the bees and cell phones.

After watching all of the men and women bebop into the local Wal-Mart with cell phones attached to their heads, this latest news item came as quite a shock! The big flash is that cell phones are causing the collapse of bee hives. Does this seem rational? Can it be that hoards of bee are dropping out of the sky due to advanced technology? Apparently, there is scientific proof behind this newest finding.

According to a recent hypothesis, the radiation given off by mobile phones and other high-tech gadgets interferes with bees navigation systems. This prevents them from getting back to their hives. This has been related by a group of German researchers at Landau University. Although there seems to be some scientific backing concerning the most recent study, there is also dissent.

Apiarists (another word for beekeeper) are stating that this disorder known as CCD, colony collapse disorder, could be caused by irregular weather patterns and mite or other infestations. Maybe they had a disagreement with the Queen! Or perhaps all of the worker bees are just fed up and have decided to go on strike. Wouldn't this be an innovative format of an Alfred Hitchcock "The Birds" type movie? Imagine, millions of bees flying as normal in the sky, when a King-Kong like Cell Phone appears in their direct flying pattern. Immediately they all drop dead! Well, it would probably be a short movie.

However, there is evidence to suggest that this radiation from the cell phone is dropping at least 50-70 per cent of bees and starving the others as they lay in their hives. Technically, the bees become confused when the radiation hits them and they begin to fly into mountains, very deep rivers, and passenger planes. The poor bees that are lying around the hive, drinking honey, and gossiping, soon have no food and nothing to look forward to. They develop malnutrition, depression, and then expire. Even the scavenger bees that fly into foreign hives for a free meal,are dropping one after another. God! What is a hobo bee to do?

Rumor has it that the beekeepers are organizing a free clinic to treat the bees who are afflicted with CCD. But, until this is up and running the cell phone plague is rampant and the bees are losing the fight.

thevengenceaz
king hippo
10,585 Posts
34/N/A/AZ

offline   (1)
April 23 2007 12:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
here's a more scientific article:

Study: Cell Phone Radiation Could Be Killing Bees
By Geoffrey Lean and Harriet Shawcross
The Independent on Sunday
04/16/07 8:56 AM PT

A mysterious condition known as Colony Collapse Disorder is destroying bee hives around the world. Scientists are still debating the exact cause of the epidemic, but researchers at Landau University suggest that radiation from mobile phones may be at least partially to blame. Scientists found that placing mobile phones near hives causes bees to refuse to go inside.

Barracuda Networks' high-end, low-cost Spam Firewalls and Web Filters are trusted by over 40,000 customers worldwide - including IBM®, NASA and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security - to stop spam, spyware, viruses and other security threats. Shouldn't you? Request a free evaluation unit today.

It seems like the plot of a particularly far-fetched horror film. Some scientists suggest that our love of the mobile phone could cause massive food shortages as the world's harvests fail.

They are putting forward the theory that radiation given off by mobile phones and other hi-tech gadgets is a possible answer to one of the more bizarre mysteries ever to happen in the natural world -- the abrupt disappearance of the bees that pollinate crops. Late last week, some beekeepers claimed that the phenomenon -- which started in the U.S., then spread to continental Europe -- was beginning to hit Britain as well.

The theory is that radiation from mobile phones interferes with bees' navigation systems, preventing the famously home-loving species from finding their way back to their hives. Improbable as it may seem, there is now evidence to back this up.

Cases Worldwide
Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) occurs when a hive's inhabitants suddenly disappear, leaving only queens, eggs and a few immature workers, like so many apian Mary Celestes. The vanished bees are never found, but thought to die singly far from home. The parasites, wildlife and other bees that normally raid the honey and pollen left behind when a colony dies, refuse to go anywhere near the abandoned hives.

The alarm was first sounded last autumn, but has now hit half of all American states. The West Coast is thought to have lost 60 percent of its commercial bee population, with 70 percent missing on the East Coast.

CCD has since spread to Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece. Last week John Chapple, one of London's biggest beekeepers, announced that 23 of his 40 hives have been abruptly abandoned.

Other apiarists have recorded losses in Scotland, Wales and northwest England, but the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs insisted: "There is absolutely no evidence of CCD in the UK."

The Need for Bees
The implications of the spread are alarming. Most of the world's crops depend on pollination by bees. Albert Einstein once said that if the bees disappeared, "man would have only four years of life left".

No one knows why it is happening. Theories involving mites, pesticides, global warming and GM (genetically modified) crops have been proposed, but all have drawbacks. German research has long shown that bees' behavior changes near power lines.

Now a limited study at Landau University has found that bees refuse to return to their hives when mobile phones are placed nearby. Dr. Jochen Kuhn, who carried it out, said this could provide a "hint" to a possible cause.

Dr. George Carlo, who headed a massive study by the U.S. government and mobile phone industry of hazards from mobiles in the 1990s, said: "I am convinced the possibility is real."

The Case Against Handsets
Evidence of dangers to people from mobile phones is increasing. However, proof is still lacking, largely because many of the biggest perils, such as cancer, take decades to show up.

Most research on cancer has so fa
carlos danger
something
23,443 Posts
29/M/ME

offline   (1)
April 23 2007 12:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I haven't found a single serious-sounding article about this... every article from Google News looks like it was plagiarized from another article on Google News, and none of them cite and credible source... are you sure this isn't an Earth Day prank?
thevengenceaz
king hippo
10,585 Posts
34/N/A/AZ

offline   (1)
April 23 2007 12:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/56901.html

i used that one "tech news world" seemed legit enough for me, but i don't know, could be a prank.
thevengenceaz
king hippo
10,585 Posts
34/N/A/AZ

offline   (1)
April 23 2007 12:46 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
try searching for "landau university" "bee study" or soething like that, i found a bunch of articles, but i was trying to find the actual article.
Eric Paradox
east bay grease
68,058 Posts
32/M/CA

offline     (33)
April 23 2007 12:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
if they're right about this, that is really fucking alarming. I hope that it's off.
aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
31/M/NA

offline   (1)
April 23 2007 1:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Eric Paradox

if they're right about this, that is really fucking alarming. I hope that it's off.

Dwarn
9/11 = Inside Job
5,970 Posts
44/M/PA

offline   (1)
April 23 2007 1:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I do not think it is because of cellphones.

Rather I think it is due to a toxic brand of genetically modified corn, made by Monsanto, a product called MON 863.

Read on:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,473166,00.html
http://www.arlingtoninstitute.org/futuredition/futuredition_05.asp
http://tribes.tribe.net/environmentprotect/thread/32495028-35e1-42ee-b5cc-8387842c92e8#b6ae0beb-6057-45d1-8822-9ef5886c5bc3
http://www.newstarget.com/021784.html

I have read that many billions of bees have been killed indiscriminately by Monsanto's MON863, along with untold numbers of other insects and the animals which feed on them.
all threads All Threads ›› Cell Phone Plague Obliterates Bee Colony ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Cell Phone Plague Obliterates Bee Colony

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?