forum General Crabbery ›› Some questions for PAHC about College. ›› new reply Post Reply
sherman

shermz
15,401 Posts
32/F/NA

offline   (7)
October 9 2007 3:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm doing a research paper on the college experience and I want to know what your experience is like. I have my own experience, but I would like to see it through your eyes.

- Do you feel pressured to get a degree?
- Do you want to be there?
- Is someone forcing you to go?
- Do you like your classes?
- Are your professors enthusiastic about teaching or are they just there to do what they are paid for?
- Do you feel like you are competing with your classmates or do you not care?

I really appreciate any input you have to give.
JP22
Shark City
7,394 Posts
34/M/CA

offline   (2)
October 9 2007 3:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
- I feel kinda pressured by the parents but only slightly. Nothing Major
- Sometimes, i change moods everyday about school.
-???
- I like 2 out of the 3 classes.
- Yes they are enthusiastic.
- I have never felt like competing with classmates, i just do my own thing.
The Ultimate Warrior
FTW Champion
20,619 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (1)
October 9 2007 3:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
-I feel that since I am here, I should definitely get a degree, or my time will have been wwasted.
-Yeah, I want to be here. I have friends here. I feel like I am using my time productively, and whatever education I get will be able to help me out afterwards.
-No one is completely forcing me, but at the same time I do feel that I basically have to go. While my parents never said, "You have to go to college," it always seemed to me that it was assumed that I would go.
-Some classes I like, some I don't. It is hit or miss.
-Again, some are really enthusiastic, some aren't. For the most part, it seems like most I have this semester are definitely passionate about their class.
-I don't feel like I compete with anyone other than myself.
$$$ ERIK $$$
Time Husk
7,868 Posts
35/M/NJ

offline   (7)
October 9 2007 3:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
- I don't feel pressured to get one. My parents are supporting me through it, but would support me no matter what I really wanted to do.
- I want to be here.
- No one is forcing me at all.
- I like my classes. I'm learning about what I want to learn about.
- Some are, but some aren't. It helps when they're enthusiastic. No matter what, they're all very qualified for teaching.
- I feel like I'm competing. There's only so many job positions out there and you have to be the best in order to get what you want. With what I'm studying, there's a huge amount of competition and I feel that it starts even before you enter the field.
Sarcastic Existence
SICK GUY
16,062 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (17)
October 9 2007 3:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
-Yea, I feel pressured to get a degree, because there really aren't too many opportunities you get to make something of yourself without it.
-No, I hate school. But I make the best of it.
-My mom and rest of my family would pretty much kill me if I didn't go.
-Some of my classes have been really insightful and useful already, so yea for the most part.
-You get a mixbag. Some love the material they're teaching and others are just doing it for the paycheck.
-For the most part, I don't care.
thisgirldesire
loves jews.
28,277 Posts
33/F/AZ

offline   (19)
October 9 2007 3:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
- yes.
- yes.
- i wouldn't call it forcing, but it would have been heavily frowned upon if i hadn't gotten a degree.
- gen eds sucked, but classes in things i was interested in were awesome.
- some of the teachers that i had were into it, but most of them are only trained in theories and policies and they didn't have much real world experience outside of teaching, which is frustrating to students who aren't looking to become professors. teachers with real world experience in their field are invaluable and i learned the most from.
- depends on the class and the atmosphere and how much i was into the subject matter. if i knew that i was more knowledgeable about a subject than other people and they did better than me on papers/tests etc, it was a hit, but who doesn't like having smoke blown up their ass when they do a good job on something?
KOMMANDER
still trill.
20,200 Posts
30/F/PA

offline   (21)
October 9 2007 3:38 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
- I feel pressured to get a degree, but not by my school or any other influences other than myself.
- I hate the school I'm at, but transferring in the fall.
- I have options if I don't get through college, but none that are "approved" by my parents. But it was my choice in the first place to go, and I want to be there.
- All of the classes that I'm taking right now are great. I'm super interested in all of the material and I feel very lucky for that. It makes it so much easier to do my work, and do well.
- All of my teachers this semester are great. They love what they do, and it certainly shows. They also teach in ways other than standard lecture, which keeps the students interested.
- I don't feel as though I'm competing now, but I think that I will when I transfer to a better, bigger school. Right now I'm a big fish in a small pond, but that will all get turned around and I know that I will feel the need to be at the top.
carlos danger
something
23,443 Posts
29/M/ME

offline   (1)
October 9 2007 3:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
- Too an extent. My parents are paying for me to go through college, so in a sense I owe it to them to not waste the money they've already invested. Although, I'd don't really see myself dropping out of school, It's not much longer before I have something to show for it. In 2 more years I'll have my Bachelors in Chemistry, another year after than I'll have my Masters in Medicinal Chemistry, and another year after that I'll have my Doctorate in Pharmacology.

- Not really. It's the best school around for what I want to do, but the people here are rich and snobby and/or drama-oriented and touchy. All my friends live in Burlington VT, which would be my ideal home, but like I said there's nowhere better for what I want to do than where I am no, so I'll probably just see it through. It doesn't help that my parents just saw my grades (3.9) and are really excited about how well I'm doing, either. I was seriously just about to tell them I wanted to transfer and my mom was like, "Oh your grades came today--I'm so proud of you blah"

- No, but my parents would basically cut me off if I wasn't in college. I'd be working, and paying for everything on my own. I'd be welcome in their house as a guest, but not as a family member. I know that's true for some people who are going to college by choice, but my parents have made it a policy to pay for all of their 5 children's whatever until they're out of college, and I'm not complaining.

- For the most part. I don't like math or physics, never have, but everything else is Chemistry which is very interesting to me

- Most of them seem to be enthusiastic but just suck at teaching. Sometimes they get carried away with how much they enjoy the subject, and don't realize that it doesn't come as easily for everyone. My physics teacher spends all day talking about physics concepts she thinks are "fun," and doesn't actually teach anything.

- No. I think if I was in Pharmacy or Pre-med I'd feel like I was competing since the school only passes X amount of kids a year, but once you're accepted Chemistry isn't a competitive major here (I'm one of 12 chem applicants the school accepted, 3/4 of which have elected to transfer out of chemistry).
.maria.
SI3C
4,375 Posts
32/F/PA

offline   (5)
October 9 2007 3:45 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
- Yes, my parents always made me feel like I would end up with some terrible job unless I earned some kind of degree. I also feel like I would be totally letting myself down if I gave up now and didn't graduate.
- Yes.
- No one but myself.
- Absolutely not. I'm finishing up all my core classes this semester and they are all terrible.
- I love all of the professors that I have now. They are all really into the subject matter, however this hasn't always been my experience. I had a psych professor who read off of a powerpoint each and every class and made me feel like I was inconviencing her by being there.
- I don't care. I just try to do the best I can in every class for no one other than myself. Of course, I feel good when I get a better grade than another one of my classmates, but competing with them is not my ultimate goal.
blackeyes
100%
47,181 Posts
32/M/AK

offline   (3)
October 9 2007 3:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
no
to everything really
xAJDELAWAREx
Oh this site?
41,692 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (6)
October 9 2007 3:54 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
- Do you feel pressured to get a degree? The first time, yes. I knew it was for my own good, but I also never questioned it either. It was just what was expected.

- Do you want to be there? At times no, but over all, yes. I knew Id make more money in the long run.

- Is someone forcing you to go? No, I go on my own.

- Do you like your classes?Yeah, they are wild good times

- Are your professors enthusiastic about teaching or are they just there to do what they are paid for? Most of mine are adjunct professors, so they are teaching for fun

- Do you feel like you are competing with your classmates or do you not care?I compete, but not openly, I like knowing when I did the best though.
brenoritvrezorkre
tortiteniphates
26,685 Posts
30/M/CA

offline   (3)
October 9 2007 3:55 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
-Being that my parents have put me through college, I feel that it is imperative to do well so that I'm not just wasting their money. Also, my parents have told me that I will need a degree these days for the most simple jobs and that you pretty much need it anymore to be successful (which in most cases is true, unless you have connections).

-Yes, I absolutely love my campus and am glad I made the choice to go here.

-No

-I can't say that I like my classes at all really, I'm going through a crisis deciding what I want to do in the future/major changing, etc. Right now I'm just getting my general educations done but I have to deal with some classes that I needed for the major I am currently in/most likely getting out of.

-I only like maybe two of my professors, the rest have zero personality and are strictly by-the-book teachers.

-No

BEERZEBUB
C-Wizard
4,191 Posts
30/M/OH

offline   (9)
October 9 2007 4:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I enjoy being at school for the majority of my classes, especially my major classes. My degree is very hands on learning and my professors all have professional experience in the field and are very enthusiastic about what they teach, so far that has been the same for my Gen Ed classes too for the most part.

As far as the "college life" my school sucks. It's like a big version of high school basically, which is why I moved off campus this year. To sum it up, as a physical school/community and what not it leaves much to be desired, but in my specific area they have an amazing program, only reason why I'm there everything else sucks. Oh and they gave me a decent bit of scholarship money too.
Brianaface
Time Husk
1,069 Posts
30/F/PA

offline   (8)
October 9 2007 4:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
No, neither of my parents have one.
Yeah.
No.
For the most part, I really hate Chem. but even sometimes that is okay.
- Are your professors enthusiastic about teaching or are they just there to do what they are paid for?
Yes, some of them extremely.
Actually yeah, Physical Therapy is one of the most competitive fields right now, my Kinesiology professor said that the competition is harder than some Med schools at the moment. So competing with people in my class is just he first stage, I guess.

Dianana
8====D
66,392 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (8)
October 9 2007 4:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
my parents expected all of their kids to get one, so i can't say i was pressured, it was just the way it was.

yes, but i'm very ready to graduate in may

i force myself to go, i'm the one paying

at times my classes are boring but i have really good professors with lots of experience in their feild. so there's lots of interesting stories.

my professors still work with radio/tv stations, newspapers and ad agencies, so i'd say they are.

i had to make a lot of advertisments last semester and present them to the class, i was always competing in that one.
Jess.
wiener breath
38,680 Posts
32/F/PA

offline   (11)
October 9 2007 4:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

- Do you feel pressured to get a degree? I guess I somewhat do just to have a competitive edge in the "real world", but I don't feel pressured in the sense that I didn't want to go to college, but felt like I had to.
- Do you want to be there? Yea, I absolutely love it. Wouldn't trade my college experience for anything.
- Is someone forcing you to go? Not at all. My parents always expected me to go to college, but they didn't make me go.
- Do you like your classes? Yea, for the most part. This is my last semester, so all my prerequisites are done and I just got to choose classes that I thought would be interesting.
- Are your professors enthusiastic about teaching or are they just there to do what they are paid for? Depends on the professor. I've had one or two that have changed my life (seriously.), but some are just going through the motions.
- Do you feel like you are competing with your classmates or do you not care? I personally like to be well above average, so in that sense, yes. I'm a competitive person in general.
forum General Crabbery ›› Some questions for PAHC about College. ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Some questions for PAHC about College.

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?