forum General Crabbery ›› quiting smoking ›› new reply Post Reply
yantastic
drink fight win
15,048 Posts
41/M/NJ

offline   (5)
January 14 2009 2:45 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:AtWarWithAmeliaLOL

You know what you have to do to quit smoking? NOTHING.
When you feel like having a cigarette, don't have one.
I know it sounds obvious and simple, but that's because it IS OBVIOUS AND SIMPLE.

if you think about it there's a few points in the chain that you can stop.

don't buy cigs. don't bum any. when you have a craving don't reach for a cigarette. if you have one don't light it.

it's a series of motions that become ritual and that's part of the addiction so try to find a point that you can break the series.
Seeinsparklesyet?!
I.P.F.K
1,989 Posts
32/F/PA

offline   (25)
January 14 2009 2:57 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: yantastic

I know it sounds obvious and simple, but that's because it IS OBVIOUS AND SIMPLE.

don't buy cigs. don't bum any. when you have a craving don't reach for a cigarette. if you have one don't light it.

it's a series of motions that become ritual and that's part of the addiction so try to find a point that you can break the series.

i honestly understand all of that, but its easier said than done.
yantastic
drink fight win
15,048 Posts
41/M/NJ

offline   (5)
January 14 2009 3:06 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Seeinsparklesyet?!

Originally posted by: yantastic

i honestly understand all of that, but its easier said than done.

the point is just to remind yourself that there's many points you can stop. find one that's easy to remember and even if it stops you once, then it worked at least once.
Seeinsparklesyet?!
I.P.F.K
1,989 Posts
32/F/PA

offline   (25)
January 14 2009 5:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
got it. thanks!
Moss Piglet
Buffernut
7,806 Posts
32/F/PA

offline   (4)
January 14 2009 5:24 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:yantastic

Such simple, but wise logic.
LynZie
Time Husk
16,251 Posts
33/F/PA

offline   (4)
January 14 2009 8:59 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

yeah..i pretty much failed at life at this.. i couldnt help it. i did good for awhile and then work started going down hill here so i said fuck it and quit quitting. i shall try again..

Someone in the thread said it before and was on point... you have to WANT to stop. I'm sure you want to but its obvious you are not ready yet... I've wanted to quit for a while but I liked my cig breaks, and smoking when I was driving... Finally one day I REALLY wanted to stop, and I did it!

As silly as it sounds just remind yourself everyday that you DO NOT smoke anymore. That its not an option... Take deep breaths and relax yourself. Keep reminding yourself that it WILL get easier and you wont have these cravings forever... but you need to do it now. I would just tell myself everyday that it'd get easier and easier and it did. If you do slip up and have a cig then start over... Just keep reminding yourself that you don't want to have these cravings forever and you wont... Id hate to think Id have to be on a plane or do something for 8 hours and feel like I NEEDED a cig.

Just don't give up! Keep trying and before you know it the smell of cigs will make you sick. I can smell it on people when I walk by them at grocery stores and stuff and i WREAKS!!! SOOOO NASTY and to think I SMELLED like THAT for years?!? I smoked cigs for about 8 yearsish.. Disgusting... There's 100 reasons to quit, and if you are determined to then you will... No One said it'd be easy, no one made you start... You started and now you have to make yourself quit.

Good luck and just remember everyday you don't give up on yourself is a day closer to being done with it all together.
Mariano Rivera
the sandman
36,573 Posts
8/M/NE

offline   (1)
January 14 2009 9:04 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
throw out all of your lighters, start chewing gum, carry around something you can manipulate with your hands when they get bored

doing those three things helped both my parents quit
xAJDELAWAREx
Oh this site?
41,692 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (6)
January 14 2009 9:19 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: !Lulian!

Originally posted by:yantastic

Such simple, but wise logic.

His are the same people that write fortune cookie fortunes, what did you expect?
Seeinsparklesyet?!
I.P.F.K
1,989 Posts
32/F/PA

offline   (25)
January 14 2009 10:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: LynZie

yeah..i pretty much failed at life at this.. i couldnt help it. i did good for awhile and then work started going down hill here so i said fuck it and quit quitting. i shall try again..

Someone in the thread said it before and was on point... you have to WANT to stop. I'm sure you want to but its obvious you are not ready yet... I've wanted to quit for a while but I liked my cig breaks, and smoking when I was driving... Finally one day I REALLY wanted to stop, and I did it!

As silly as it sounds just remind yourself everyday that you DO NOT smoke anymore. That its not an option... Take deep breaths and relax yourself. Keep reminding yourself that it WILL get easier and you wont have these cravings forever... but you need to do it now. I would just tell myself everyday that it'd get easier and easier and it did. If you do slip up and have a cig then start over... Just keep reminding yourself that you don't want to have these cravings forever and you wont... Id hate to think Id have to be on a plane or do something for 8 hours and feel like I NEEDED a cig.

Just don't give up! Keep trying and before you know it the smell of cigs will make you sick. I can smell it on people when I walk by them at grocery stores and stuff and i WREAKS!!! SOOOO NASTY and to think I SMELLED like THAT for years?!? I smoked cigs for about 8 yearsish.. Disgusting... There's 100 reasons to quit, and if you are determined to then you will... No One said it'd be easy, no one made you start... You started and now you have to make yourself quit.

Good luck and just remember everyday you don't give up on yourself is a day closer to being done with it all together.

yea i know, I'm an airframer on helicopters and working 16 hour days the only breaks I get are smoke breaks. if i'm not going to smoke i'm handed another job. so i suppose its just mental.. but its kicking my ass. haha
forum General Crabbery ›› quiting smoking ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: quiting smoking

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?