forum General Crabbery ›› Artist creates 'The Rape Tunnel' ›› new reply Post Reply
Bonsai

lol
5,293 Posts
33/F/PA

offline   (10)
October 9 2009 1:35 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Says he will rape anyone who walks through.

click here for link

An American artist has come under fire from police and feminist groups after constructing an artwork entitled The Rape Tunnel.

Richard Whitehurst, a Columbus-based artist, has constructed a 6.7 meter plywood tunnel opening onto a secret room to go on view at Columbus' 4D Gallery on October 30th. He said for the duration of the gallery's opening, he will rape anyone who travels through the tunnel into that room.

In an interview with ARTLURKER a Miami based contemporary art newsletter, Whitehurst described his project.

"There is no way in or out of the project room except for this tunnel. As you travel through the tunnel, it gets smaller and smaller, making it so that you have to crawl and put yourself in a submissive position in order to reach the tunnel's destination," Whitehurst said. "At the end of the tunnel the subject will find me waiting in the project room and I'll try to the best of my ability to overpower and rape the person who crawls through."

"I want to make it clear that I plan to make the experience as unpleasant as I possibly can to anyone who dares to crawl through the tunnel. I will try to the best of my ability to make them regret their decision."

It's not the first time Whitehurst has courted controversy. In 2007 he created an installation called the Punch You In The Face Tunnel. This time, he said, he wanted to have a greater impact.

"I started to think differently about my work. In 2007 at the Seward Projects Space in Columbus, I had my first breakthrough with an installation that was to be the prototype for this current one. It was called Punch You In The Face Tunnel. It was the same set-up as The Rape Tunnel except at the end of the tunnel I'd punch the subject in the face instead of raping him or her. The impetus was completely reactionary to the current state of art, and motivated by pure frustration."

"As it turns out, I ended up breaking the nose of the third person to crawl through the tunnel, an aspiring model. She went to the hospital and eventually sued me. Her modeling career was put on hold. The civil case was long and drawn out and the matter still hasn't been resolved. To this day she still has unpaid medical bills. The point of this long aside is that all this took place two years ago, and I'm still having an impact on this young lady's life, something not many other artists could claim about their work."

"Rape seemed like the next logical step."

Whether said he wanted to show that rape was not always a black and white issue.

"The definition is argued almost everyday in courtrooms around the country. The woman who gets too drunk one night and regrets having sex the next morning, was she raped or not? There is no easy answer. I hope some of that ambiguity will manifest itself in this project."

Whether the project is art or assault may ultimately be determined by police. But Whitehouse said he was prepared to go to jail for the sake of his art.
Pb609
Web Bitch
33,523 Posts
34/M/NJ

offline     (35)
October 9 2009 1:38 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
'PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE TUNNEL'

DOES ANYONE ELSE FIND THIS AS HILARIOUS AS I DO.
Bonsai
lol
5,293 Posts
33/F/PA

offline   (10)
October 9 2009 1:40 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
http://www.artlurker.com/2009/09/the-rape-tunnel-by-sheila-zareno

But rape is way more extreme than a punch to the face. Is your intention to ruin people's lives?

Possibly. I'm not necessarily concerned with the positive or negative effects of this project so long as there is some effect on people's lives. I've merely set up a situation where there is potential to impact people in meaningful ways. Maybe I won't be able to rape everyone who crawls through the tunnel, but the door is open for all kinds of scenarios; rape, serious injury, maybe even death. I might even get arrested.

Do you have any limitations on the kind of person you'll rape?

None whatsoever. It could be men, women, old, young, fat, thin. Anyone.
Moss Piglet
Buffernut
7,806 Posts
32/F/PA

offline   (4)
October 9 2009 1:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Bonsai
lol
5,293 Posts
33/F/PA

offline   (10)
October 9 2009 1:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Pb609

Probably even more so.
COFFINSTUFFER
Time Husk
6,496 Posts
33/M/PA

October 9 2009 1:46 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I was rloling reading this.
Tony.
uninspired
19,322 Posts
34/M/MI

offline     (21)
October 9 2009 1:50 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
There was a performace artice Years ago that said he'd stab anyone who went down some set of stairs

Funny none the less
Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
31/M/PA

offline     (12)
October 9 2009 1:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

ABSOLUTELY.
Ron Shark
Time Husk
27,231 Posts
8/M/PA

offline     (5)
October 9 2009 1:56 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Saving it for a song title.

Also, these articles read like they're from the fucking Onion. I love it.
Baby Cole is gay
Cannonball
14,017 Posts
M/NA

offline     (18)
October 9 2009 6:24 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
So it's like a giant tunnel of rape? I dunno... sounds like a bad idea to me.
joey.
Means to an end
13,569 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (7)
October 9 2009 6:33 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
On the contrary, sounds like an amazing idea to me.
P.Warburton
In A Coma
338 Posts
18/M/NA

offline   (1)
October 9 2009 7:04 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
how can anything possibly go wrong?
hard_penis
penis so hard
4,367 Posts
28/M/NA

offline   (5)
October 9 2009 7:26 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'd watch a video of it.
COFFINSTUFFER
Time Husk
6,496 Posts
33/M/PA

October 9 2009 8:59 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm going to make my own rape tunnel exhibit out of Daniel Boyer's asshole.
dickferbraynz
ass
969 Posts
64/M/ID

October 9 2009 9:01 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Pb609

/raise hand
Erie Ed
Dog pound
20,398 Posts
32/M/OH

offline   (21)
October 9 2009 9:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
This is amazing
forum General Crabbery ›› Artist creates 'The Rape Tunnel' ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Artist creates 'The Rape Tunnel'

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?