forum General Crabbery ›› Allergy Question ›› new reply Post Reply
sidney

MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,327 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (1)
February 16 2011 1:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
anyone ever heard of this.....can someone be allergic to JUST soft shell crabs and not hard shell or seafood for that matter?
DeadlyHandSammich
creepin on you
3,302 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (3)
February 16 2011 1:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
yes, its possible
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,327 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (1)
February 16 2011 1:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
example? any reasoning?
DeadlyHandSammich
creepin on you
3,302 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (3)
February 16 2011 1:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i really have no idea why, never actually looked into the specifics. I've heard of plenty of people that cant eat certain kinds of seafood without getting sick or having some sort of negative reaction
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,327 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (1)
February 16 2011 2:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
just wierd that a person can eat a regular blue claw crab BUT when it is molting (soft shell) they can not.....wierd.
carlos danger
something
23,443 Posts
29/M/ME

offline   (1)
February 16 2011 4:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
you're probably allergic to chitin, which is a polymer of N-acetylglucosamine. You could also possibly be allergic to some protein bound within the chitin. The shells of most crustaceans and insects are made of chitin. When you eat those kinds of things you typically break and remove the shell. A soft shell crab has started growing a new shell even before molting, so there is actually a lot of chitin on its surface tissue even if it hasn't grown a totally hard shell yet. Humans don't make chitin, and we generally don't eat it--so some people are born with a defective gene for the enzyme phosphatidylinositol deacylase, and when they consume chitin their body treats is as an allergen and has a temper tantrum, even though it's basically just sugar.

It's stupid, but so is your DNA.
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,490 Posts
32/M/NA

offline  mobile reply   (13)
February 16 2011 4:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Crustaceans are basically just insects.
Stop eating them.
asking_for_it
Dave B. #2
4,663 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (15)
February 16 2011 4:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
anyone can be allergic to anything. i'm allergic to a particular kind of puffs plus tissue. i'm hardcore.
Dickscraper
dickacraper
26,085 Posts
30/M/IL

offline   (11)
February 16 2011 4:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Davey.

Animals are basically just people.
Stop eating them.

Right on!
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,490 Posts
32/M/NA

offline  mobile reply   (13)
February 16 2011 4:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Fuck that. Eat foie gras and veal. Ignore hippies.
Dickscraper
dickacraper
26,085 Posts
30/M/IL

offline   (11)
February 16 2011 4:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
delicious veal...

in all seriousness, veal is delicious.
asking_for_it
Dave B. #2
4,663 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (15)
February 16 2011 4:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
veal appr.
Brenda from Flatbush
Brenda from Flatbu
1 Posts
27/N/A/NA

April 14 2011 11:43 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I had an anaphylactic reaction the ONE time I ate soft shell crabs, but can eat all the shellfish I want, including crab meat, with no problem! THANKS, "Skimble," for the chitin explanation. It jives with what I'm reading about so-called "iodine allergies" to shellfish; apparently iodine is too small a molecule to trigger a true allergic response, so this would be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Boy, I enjoyed those soft-shell crabs...on buttered toast, out in the Hamptons...just before I got the epinephrine IV in the ER...
xar004
Xavier
1 Posts
52/M/FL

September 12 2011 12:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Hi, I have an allergic reaction to soft-shelled crabs. I ate them at a sushi place and it's happened three times for me to correctly recognize the culprit.

I had blue crabs last night and I woke up with my hands itching at 2am. This is the first sign of an allergy reaction for me. So I took my allergy pill and luckily it was a mild reaction that went away quickly. The 3 times I've had it with ss crabs I became a swollen monster!! And the itching and stomach cramps were helllish!!!!

So, anyway I now know that an overloaded liver and a weak inmune system are all part of the problem but until I figure a natural cure, I will avoid those delicious s-shelled crab rolls!
Msray 2000
Time Husk
1 Posts
23/F/NA

June 7 2014 10:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I have eaten shell fish and hard shell crab all my life wit no reaction and still do. When I went to New York and ate soft shell crab I got hives and blew up like a Basset hound in my face. My aunt worked in a medical clinic at the time and the Dr. there said there is an oil in the shell of the soft shell crab that some people react to even though they have been eating regular crab their whole lives. I wish I could find out more about it,
brian.
new cocks
144,660 Posts
33/M/IL

offline   (9)
June 7 2014 11:48 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
well good luck with that
forum General Crabbery ›› Allergy Question ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Allergy Question

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject