forum Politics and Society ›› Todd Akin, Paul Ryan, and Rape ›› new reply Post Reply
Jason Voorheees

dogfood meatballs
6,445 Posts
39/M/NY

offline   (4)
August 20 2012 7:21 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
August 20, 2012 5:37 AM

Todd Akin, Paul Ryan and the very real war on women August 20, 2012

BY ZERLINA MAXWELL nydailynews.com

Two words that should never be used together in the same sentence: legitimate and rape. But that’s the way Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) chose to speak about the sensitive topic that has impacted millions of women in the United States in an interview with a local television station Sunday.

In defending his extreme anti-choice position – that a woman who is raped and becomes pregnant should not be permitted to have an abortion, Akin said, “First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

Akin, who clearly didn’t pay attention in biology class, is challenging Democratic incumbent Sen. Claire McCaskill. After the negative and swift public reaction to his remarks, Akin said in a statement that he “misspoke,” but that claim doesn’t fly when you do a quick review of his legislative history, which is directly connected to vice presidential pick Rep. Paul Ryan on this exact issue.

Akin and Ryan were the original co-sponsors of the controversial bill H.R. 3, “No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act,” which would prohibit funding for abortions including those resulting from rape and incest and which included language which changed the definition of “rape” to “forcible rape,” until public pressure forced them to remove that language as an unacceptable and narrow definition.

While Team Romney attempted to create distance with Akin, saying that both Romney and Ryan “disagree” with his statements, there was nothing in their statement that said they condemn his remarks. There was also nothing in Team Romney’s statement that pointed out that what Akin said about pregnancies resulting from rape being rare.

Ryan was against abortion in all cases including rape until Team Romney’s statement yesterday and Romney has said he would get rid of Planned Parenthood and has been moving further right on women’s issues since he was a pro-choice governor of Massachusetts.

empireofcrime
alley lurker
46 Posts
35/M/KS

August 20 2012 8:27 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I wonder how many people nodded in approval at what Akin was saying, so convinced that the Good Lord would never allow a pregnancy to happen in cases of rape(unless it was part of God's plan). Let's see if "legitimate rape" catches on as a far right talking point, if it hasn't already.
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,445 Posts
39/M/NY

offline   (4)
August 20 2012 8:45 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
^begs the question, just what then is an "illegitimate rape"?
Dianana
8====D
65,733 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (8)
August 20 2012 9:10 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: empireofcrime

I wonder how many people nodded in approval at what Akin was saying, so convinced that the Good Lord would never allow a pregnancy to happen in cases of rape(unless it was part of God's plan). Let's see if "legitimate rape" catches on as a far right talking point, if it hasn't already.

This "legitimate rape" bullshit has been going on for a while, it has been uttered multiple times in the past couple of years (remember our pal Weiner calling out some old limp dick over the jerkoff term?). So has the "women can choose to become pregnant," bit. If I'm not mistaken, that fat piece of scum Limbaugh said something about it in his book in 1994.

So what this means is, if a woman is actually raped, then her body can fight off the sperm with something medical doctors have never heard about before. But since most of us women are lying whores, we are usually asking for it. And to punish us for being sluts, God gives us the wonderful gift of a dickhead baby to make up for having sex before marriage.

But hai guise! Something that has to do with 50% of the population isn't a big deal, let's get back to the economy Obama supposedly ruined. Let's just ignore this stuff so it can slip under the radar when laws are being passed to protect a sack of cells because.... Jesus.

Fuck everyone.
LastOnePicked
in all my unglory
14,470 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (4)
August 20 2012 10:24 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Let's see if "legitimate rape" catches on as a far right talking point, if it hasn't already.

It won't. They're already running away from it, and Akin has walked back his statements.
Dianana
8====D
65,733 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (8)
August 20 2012 10:47 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
See also: Forced rape
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,445 Posts
39/M/NY

offline   (4)
August 20 2012 10:59 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: LastOnePicked

Let's see if "legitimate rape" catches on as a far right talking point, if it hasn't already.

It won't. They're already running away from it, and Akin has walked back his statements.

of course he did. still, it's always funny when someone in their ranks gets caught in a "did i say that out loud?" moment. inside their hermetically sealed, sky-dad*, non-reality, it all makes perfect sense. but take that shit out in the fresh air and it starts to smell like the insane, child-minded drivel it is and rots instantly.
InTheButtLikeWhat
get low
12,901 Posts
34/F/CA

offline   (6)
August 20 2012 11:09 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i would really love for him to entertain us with an explanation for "shut that whole thing down". in his short-circuiting brain does he believe there is some sort of power down button for our reproductive systems that us women can engage when being violently raped? or like a trap door? do we still get our periods when shutting the whole thing down? i think it would be truly hilarious to hear him elaborate on this magical defense mechanism he believes women have.
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,407 Posts
31/M/NA

offline   (13)
August 20 2012 11:15 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
If i everr meet him i will rape him
John Barlow
Vodka Party
17,778 Posts
66/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (15)
August 20 2012 11:18 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Well, you see, much like ipecac solution, the female reproductive system naturally emits an anti-rape chemical for sticky situations like this. Your vagina will simply spit out unwanted jizzum and instead of babies, you may find a Cracker Jack prize on your tampon after 9 months.
John Barlow
Vodka Party
17,778 Posts
66/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (15)
August 20 2012 11:20 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Davey.

If i everr meet him i will rape him

Also, this. I'd like to see him "shut down that whole thing" on my rapey hate penis.
Dianana
8====D
65,733 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (8)
August 20 2012 11:23 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
How about this line:
"I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child."

Ok, suck my dick.

Also: This guy voted for an anti-marital-rape law in 1991, because husbands own their wives bodies and everything.
LastOnePicked
in all my unglory
14,470 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (4)
August 20 2012 11:34 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
About 30,000 women become pregnant from rape every year. Apparently the vaginal pregnancy shut-down system sucks at it's job.
LastOnePicked
in all my unglory
14,470 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (4)
August 20 2012 11:35 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Jason Voorheees

of course he did. still, it's always funny when someone in their ranks gets caught in a "did i say that out loud?" moment. inside their hermetically sealed, sky-dad*, non-reality, it all makes perfect sense. but take that shit out in the fresh air and it starts to smell like the insane, child-minded drivel it is and rots instantly.

Definitely. Either way, I'm sure by the end of the week, I'll hear all the usual talk radio guys saying "ya know...what he said isn't actually all that crazy."
Dianana
8====D
65,733 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (8)
August 20 2012 11:45 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

About 30,000 women become pregnant from rape every year. Apparently the vaginal pregnancy shut-down system sucks at it's job.

There are entire populations that were created from rape.
LastOnePicked
in all my unglory
14,470 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (4)
August 20 2012 11:46 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
a bunch of conservatives are already calling for this guy to drop out of the race. they don't like the effect they know that this conversation will have on their overall senate prospects.
forum Politics and Society ›› Todd Akin, Paul Ryan, and Rape ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Todd Akin, Paul Ryan, and Rape

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?