offline   (9)
October 30 2017 8:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Wiseacre
Time Husk
1,325 Posts
30/F/PA

online  mobile reply   (3)
October 30 2017 9:13 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Attn: IT professionals. I'm considering switching my schooling from a 4 year computer science to an 18 month certificate. Reasons: I can build on one are of expertise later, better job sooner, less debt. Thoughts? Suggestions? Input on which areas of IT have better job options, are more versatile, are more lucrative?
brian.
new cocks
144,006 Posts
33/M/IL

offline   (9)
October 30 2017 10:00 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
depends on what you want to be doing. a CS degree if you want to be a programmer would not be the best investment if you specifically want to be getting a degree. get a degree in something else (math, for example) but learn how to program using the plethora of materials online, and then build software in the real world and get a job using that combination of things. i dont know much about certificates relating to programming, but ive also never seen them in any of our applicants. a CS degree is no more worthy to me than some other degree, as im looking for people who can solve problems using technology—i didnt learn a whole lot of that via my degree.

if you wanted to do more IT-focused stuff like being a DBA or networking i think certificates on specific technologies are useful and often required. like if you want to work in networking, get various cisco certifications
Dianana
8====D
65,946 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (8)
October 30 2017 10:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
butteremerils
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
212,034 Posts
38/M/PA

offline     (23)
October 30 2017 10:30 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I wonder if the trump downfall will be a slow burn or a blaze of glory

cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
212,034 Posts
38/M/PA

offline     (23)
October 30 2017 10:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
went to get coffee from one of the community pots and the shit was full of ice cold coffee from last week. i didn't notice because my cup never gets hot when coffee is in it so i took a big chug. thanks, monday
Wiseacre
Time Husk
1,325 Posts
30/F/PA

online  mobile reply   (3)
October 30 2017 10:38 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: brian.

depends on what you want to be doing. a CS degree if you want to be a programmer would not be the best investment if you specifically want to be getting a degree. get a degree in something else (math, for example) but learn how to program using the plethora of materials online, and then build software in the real world and get a job using that combination of things. i dont know much about certificates relating to programming, but ive also never seen them in any of our applicants. a CS degree is no more worthy to me than some other degree, as im looking for people who can solve problems using technology—i didnt learn a whole lot of that via my degree.

if you wanted to do more IT-focused stuff like being a DBA or networking i think certificates on specific technologies are useful and often required. like if you want to work in networking, get various cisco certifications

Thank you. This was very helpful.
Jess.
wiener breath
38,595 Posts
31/F/PA

offline  mobile reply   (11)
October 30 2017 10:42 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Blade Runner 2049 was so good.
Cumby
Time Husk
8,968 Posts
29/M/PA

offline  mobile reply   (4)
October 30 2017 10:44 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Ohio State buck guys
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
212,034 Posts
38/M/PA

offline     (23)
October 30 2017 10:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Wiseacre

Attn: IT professionals. I'm considering switching my schooling from a 4 year computer science to an 18 month certificate. Reasons: I can build on one are of expertise later, better job sooner, less debt. Thoughts? Suggestions? Input on which areas of IT have better job options, are more versatile, are more lucrative?

Coming from a perspective of not having gone to college:

Honestly, in my neck IT (which is also brian's, essentially), if you interview well and know your stuff that is more important to some of the hiring managers than a degree, so if you knew your shit and also had a certification, that would probably suffice to at least get an entry-level job, then you would be able to work your way up. I barely ever even read the education history of a resume, I always went straight for the skills we were looking for in their experience history, which languages/etc. If they matched what we needed, I'd then interview them based on the skills they had that matched what we needed, then measured their ability to answer questions analytically and presented logical problems we run into on a regular basis and would see how they would deal with that. I actually created a section at the top of my resume specifically for listing the languages and frameworks to save people the time of having to scan through my work experience.
brian.
new cocks
144,006 Posts
33/M/IL

offline   (9)
October 30 2017 11:01 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
write a program that deletes bots once they've changed the holiday they're here to spam us for

Originally posted by: Halloween_Images

free thanksgiving images

thanksgiving images

thanksgiving images

Dianana
8====D
65,946 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (8)
October 30 2017 11:02 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I really want free thanksgiving images, why would you delete such a useful bot?
brian.
new cocks
144,006 Posts
33/M/IL

offline   (9)
October 30 2017 11:04 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
how can you trust thanksgiving images provided by a halloween images bot? would you really go that far?
brian.
new cocks
144,006 Posts
33/M/IL

offline   (9)
October 30 2017 11:11 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
football is trash but the eagles baseball-related celebrations are great:

forum General Crabbery ›› manafort monday ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: manafort monday

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject